Saturday 31 January 2015

Viet Cong + Crosss + Un Blonde

Show: Viet Cong + Crosss + Un Blonde
Venue: Bar Le "Ritz" P.D.B.
Date: Friday, January 30, 2015

I'll barely be talking about Viet Cong here even though I enjoyed their show. I'd prefer put the emphasis on a lesser known band : Un Blonde. Wasn't aware of them before seeing the group perform at the Ritz on that cold January night. Now I guess I'm a fan.

I always like to stumble on new music hence I do my best at arriving early. Friday was a day like any other day. Worked hard from 9 to 5. Took a nap and managed to get there on time or almost. The show was sold out. Someone looking for a ticket was freezing his ass by the door. Devoted fan indeed. Once inside I join my friend VC. A photographer among other things. Works for a music website. She brought her camera so I knew I wasn't going to see her much that evening. Drank a few beers with her but later joined other friends at the back of the venue.

Un Blonde. I never heard anything like it. Sometimes there's rhythm in the music, sometimes it's chaotic. Many different sounds but I don't remember seeing that many instruments on stage. There's also some soul in the way he sings. It's beautiful. If you go on Bandcamp you'll hear a more experimental side of his music. This is what is said about Sense of Self, the October album: "songs recorded in a couple of days at the kitchen counter, using what was around." I bought a tape and approached Jean-Sebastien Audet at the bar. Just told him I liked the show then left with my beer. Didn't want to make him more uncomfortable than he already was.

Here he is singing solo for Easter Eggs.





Viet Cong. At the back of the venue with my old colleagues from the Voir newspaper. Don't have a clear view of the band but I do have a clear view of a guy in a tight white T softly moshing into his neighbours. He drank his beer with so much eagerness it trickled down his face and neck.

Viet Cong's last song was a test for me. It was long and a bit repetitive just when I would need to leave and catch the last metro. Hesitated. Asked VT (friend from Journal Voir) what she was planning on doing to get back home. Tells me they are all going next door to Brasserie Harricana. I join them.

Having a good time. Viet Cong in the background.

I love that bar. If ever you go, bring a pen to the restrooms. The walls are full of talking bubbles for you to write on. Enjoyed discussing music with one of my favorite music journalist from La Presse. Wonderwall was blasting on the speakers and many of us in the room were singing along to it. Left as the place was closing. 2 am. Took a cab home and was woken up early the next morning by those damn tow trucks. Winter in Montreal.



Illustration I did for the newspaper edition.



No comments:

Post a Comment