Sunday 13 September 2015

Timber Timbre's last night (for a while)

Show: Timber Timbre
Venue: Le National
Date: Saturday, September 13, 2015

Been thinking lately of the healing value of music. I'd even say medicinal. There are many ways to deal with problems. For me jogging is not it. Drawing, writing and music is it. Had I not had access to any of the three growing up I'd be heavily medicated. Going to concerts can be a small gamble. But it's so worth it. Sometimes you end up witnessing something magical. You leave the venue transformed. Last night at Le National, the sparks were among us.

First of all, Taylor Kirk, Simon Trottier, Mathieu Charbonneau, Bucky Wheaton and the saxophonist (if someone knows his name please let me know) are extremely talented. They transformed songs engraved in our memories. Had any other musicians done that it could have been a let down. This time we welcomed with open arms the change. (Except maybe for the tempo on "Magic Arrow")

Second of all, no photographs allowed. Was with friend V who thought that request was completely nonsense. She took a few pics until a fan reminded her of of the no pictures policy. Surprisingly enough, V listened. She ceased taking photographs. We left the venue afterwards thankful of that. We miss the surrounding beauty when glued to our phones.

Third, the lights. The first time I saw Timber Timbre perform, the stage was pitch black. Didn't understand why. This time the stage had some lighting but not enough for us to see clearly the musicians. We felt the music, we weren't watching the musicians play.

And of course, let's not forget that Taylor Kirk has no pitch problems.

Anything else is unexplainable. We left the venue in awe and a bit healed.*



Write to you soon.
xx China


* It was almost perfect. I say almost 'cause my mood was disturbed by what I overheard as we were leaving. Behind me were members of a Montreal band I like (and reviewed before on this blog). They mentioned having sold to a fan their last vinyl three or four times its price. And then they laughed. I didn't really think it was funny. Unless I'm writing for rreverb, I pay to attend concerts. Maybe it will change in the future but now that is how things are. I tell you, will no longer pay to attend one of their performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment